05 Apr 30th CleanUp Leaderboard – 2001: A River Odyssey
Spring has sprung! The temperatures are creeping up and the days are longer. Spring in LA also means one thing – the Great LA River CleanUp is taking place on your River this month.
This year we’re celebrating our 30th annual CleanUp and are thrilled by the enthusiasm and support we’re receiving from YOU – the community of River Stewards who want to make a positive impact on our River. That’s why we want to commend individual and group efforts that stand out as exceptional in their dedication to a vibrant and accessible LA River
One week left before we kickoff in the Upper River and we’ve passed 2,000 registrants and have almost $10,000 in contributions – keep up the great work Team River!
Here’s a few highlights from our teams and leaderboard:
- We have exactly 2,140 attendees and raised $9,771 at the time of this publication – that’s $4.56 raised per person attending and a reminder that EVEN $5 CAN MAKE AN IMPACT.
- June Beetles has an ambitious goal of $1000 in fundraising and currently sits atop the leaderboard with $380 raised and 12 volunteers. Here’s a quote from their captain, Kelsey R: “Please join me in the LA River Cleanup on April 20th, 2019. Please meet at 9am and we will end at 12pm and have brunch afterwards by our section of the river!” That’s great leadership – recruiting your team to volunteer service with the promise of brunch after – thank you Kelsey!
- Heartfelt thank you and shout out to Dani E! Dani has done a fantastic job of building out her personal page and fundraising appeal ahead of her participation in the Lower River weekend. Dani wrote her supporters: “I’m so excited to announce that because of your donations, I’ve not only met my initial goal of $150 but have now exceeded it. This is amazing news and once again, I’m so appreciative of all your donations which helped me achieve this. I’m increasing my fundraising goal to $500, so if you would like to continue helping us succeed in this truly important cause, please feel free to spread the word and share this page with friends, family, and work colleagues or on social media.”
- One stellar supporter Nadine Q. has been bringing her team for years and organizing them with extreme efficiency. We got to chat with Nadine this week on the phone, and heard that she enjoys participating in the cleanup because it reminds her of tending to the forest with her family as a child in Germany. THANK YOU Nadine for bringing a team every year and keeping the River in you heart.
- We’ve got a Mother v Daughter throw down between one of our dedicated docents and esteemed colleague. Zoe kicked off her fundraiser and sent appeals to her family raising $220. Nice job Zo! But this success was short-lived – this week she was surpassed by her own mother Katina who enjoys the third place spot on our leaderboard with $345. Chip in to this friendly competition!
- AS A REMINDER: If you can’t make it to the CleanUp or a feeling generous for any of the above groups and individuals you can contribute directly to their pages. Chip in to JUNE BEETLES or DANI E’s or ZOE or KATINA’s fundraiser by visiting their page. Even $5 makes an impact!
- Special shout out for a few colorful team names: Ain’t nobody dope as Compton Creek, thanks to So Fresh and So Clean, one of our newest and more creative team names. If you’re trying to hit a fierce catwalk, however, you may wanna check out River Trash, but Make it Fashion at Los Feliz Blvd.
- Frogtown Brewery has also formed a team and will be hosting a discount for River CleanUp volunteers after they participate on the Mid River weekend. Be sure to check out their team – and join if you’re a regular! – but also big thanks to Frogtown Brewery team for their continued support of FoLAR.