29 Mar 30th CleanUp Leaderboard: Pokémon Flow
April will be here by Monday – so your Friends of the LA River are taking a moment to shout out and encourage our 1400 friends who have signed up already for our 30th Annual Great LA River CleanUp!
This year we’ve migrated to a new digital platform, making it easier than ever to sign your waiver and register, to recruit teammates, AND to start a fundraiser so your team can compete with other volunteer groups to make the BIGGEST impact you can on our urban waterway and its ecological health.
The average volunteer pulls 20 lbs of trash from the LA River.
Are you ready to pull your weight?
We’re THRILLED to see all leaders emailing their contacts and set ambitious fundraising goals for their teams. Top fundraisers will earn social media shoutouts, a personalized brick at our founder’s statue in Lewis MacAdams Riverfront Park, and a free diver tour. We’ll post leaderboard updates regularly and keep the competitive spirit alive.
A few notes on our registrants through March:
- Bond Park @ Los Feliz Boulevard is out to an early lead in vols and fundraising. We’ve already got 200 volunteers registered and this site has already chipped in $1,605! Props to our partners at Atwater Village Neighborhood Council and our friends in the Los Feliz Improvement Association – we see and applaud all you are doing to make this site an early standout!
- Among our 302 teams, 184 teams have created a fundraiser!
- Our most active group leader has sent over 15 emails through Rallybound to recruit teammates and promote his fundraiser. That’s what we call dedication! Touch base with us if you need help recruiting through the platform to grow your team.
- If every volunteer today removes the average of 20lbs from the River, together we’re on track to prevent 14 tons of trash from reaching the Ocean.
- We’re a few hundred volunteers ahead of our progress in March 2018 – woohoo! We want to make this year the biggest yet so please promote and recruit more members within your community.
- Special shout out to the most creatively named team: Salvador Dali Parton. We expect a surreal rhinestone encounter when we welcome you to the cleanup!
- We see FIVE Pokémon Go themed teams all along the River. Awesome dedication, and we’re sure our sponsor Niantic – the developers of Pokémon Go – will be thrilled to see such enthusiasm. Let’s get ready to Pokémon FLOW!
Another reminder- yes, the CleanUp Team feature is competitive, but it’s still all about having fun. Our CleanUp is meant to encourage us to participate in local stewardship and be mindful of how personal behavior impacts our environment. Many groups here are scout and school groups, community organizations, other nonprofits, and Stewards with a passion for our River. Let’s do our best to use this CleanUp to meet the challenge of reducing waste and caring for our one and only LA River.