07 Feb We’re looking for a Policy Associate
Friends of the Los Angeles River is looking for a new Policy Associate to join our Advocacy and Policy team. If you’re a River wonk this is the perfect time to join Team LA River!
Check out the job description below and throw your hat in the ring!
Part Time Policy Associate
Friends of the Los Angeles River
20 hours per week
Friends of the Los Angeles River (FoLAR) seeks a motivated advocate for Los Angeles River conservation and recreation policy, planning and advocacy. This position will report to the Policy & Advocacy Manager and will work directly with the Executive Director. The scope of this position will include advocacy campaigns for local, state and federal recreation and conservation policy and funding, legislative research, coordination with elected officials and government agencies, representing FoLAR to the community, and some limited project management.
Friends of the L.A. River (FoLAR) was founded in 1986 on the belief that effective advocacy, education, collaboration and imagination can accomplish great things. We know first-hand that urban ecosystem restoration requires creativity, technical knowledge and tenacity – but also that our goals, while vast and visionary, are also undeniably attainable. We bring these attitudes and vision to our mission of protecting and restoring the natural and historic heritage of the Los Angeles River.
Friends of the Los Angeles River seeks a motivated advocate for Los Angeles River conservation and recreation policy, planning and advocacy. This position will report to the Policy & Advocacy Manager and will work directly with the Executive Director. This role is perfect for a recent graduate in Public Policy or Urban Planning with the flexibility to take on part time work. The ideal candidate will offer enthusiasm, positive attitude, the ability to self-start, a proven capability in academic research, a working knowledge of local and state level government, familiarity with the environmental and urban planning landscape in LA, and a professional writing style. A passion for the environment, wildlife, and open space is a must.
The successful candidate will be expected to remain current with events and trends that relate to Los Angeles River restoration, the LA River community, and activities and internal projects of FoLAR, as well as comply with policies and procedures of FoLAR.
Under the direction of the Policy & Advocacy Manager and the Executive Director, responsibilities will include:
- Coordinating and authoring advocacy campaign collateral
- Work collaboratively with internal departments to provide support for cross-functional events and initiatives
- Monitor and analyze the political landscape, relevant state level legislation, and local policy, keep Policy team updated and informed
- Research and draft policy briefs on FoLAR relevant issues
- Coordinate with elected offices and government agencies for various scheduling and permitting needs
- Draft blog posts, website articles and other collateral as relevant and necessary
- Other duties as assigned
- Hold a degree or professional experience in Public Policy or Urban Planning
- 1-2 years work experience
- Well versed in current workplace technology – Microsoft Office, Google Docs, etc.
- Experience with Nationbuilder or other similar CRM platforms a plus
- Nonprofit and/or graphic design experience a plus
- Intellectual honesty, integrity
- Ability to multi-task and manage many projects simultaneously with scrupulous attention to detail
This is a part time position based in the Elysian Valley in Los Angeles.
Must be authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis for any employer, and have driver’s license, insurable driving record, and pass any necessary pre-employment screenings.
To apply for this position, please e-mail your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Policy Associate Application” in the subject line. Writing examples are helpful. Format is important; please send the cover letter in the body of the e-mail as text and any documents (resume, etc.) as easily accessible attachments. No calls or walk-ins.
Friends of the Los Angeles River is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, sex, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or national origin.